[ltp] Don't trust the kensington lock socket

Thu, 07 Feb 2008 20:00:41 -0500

----------MB_8CA380528EA9761_270_3E15_webmail-nf05.sim.aol.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Marius Gedminas <mgedmin@b4net.lt>
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sent: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 3:35 pm
Subject: Re: [ltp] Don't trust the kensington lock socket

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 11:19:18PM +0000, Richard Neill wrote:
> Some slimebag just stole one of our company laptops, which was an R60e
> thinkpad, used for video-streaming and transcoding. It was locked to the
> desk with a kensington lock. The lock itself remains undamaged, and in
> the locked position, but the thinkpad is missing: the thief quite
> clearly just ripped it away from the lock, tearing out the socket in the
> corner of the laptop.

Lenovo want to sell the docking station.  I was lucky I still had the Kensington key
after it was on the T40 docking station over 4 years.  I already wondered who
would put a lock into the plastic corner of a T61?

> On another note, I need to replace it: are the R61s generally OK with
> Linux? A lot of people seem to be having Linux trouble with X61 and T61
> models. I do need a fast core2-duo CPU, and preferably intel graphics
> and it must have a sensible 4x3 screen (eg 1024x768), rather than the
> increasingly common shortscreen (erroneously marketed as "widescreen")
> monitors.

I've a T61 with Core 2 Duo and Intel graphics.  Older distros (Ubuntu
7.04) had problems with it (no video; no disk; one of the CPUs oopses
and is taken offline), but newer distros (Ubuntu 7.10) work just fine.

I'm happy with T61 and OpenSuSE 10.3 64-bit.
Intel 4965AGN driver doesn't work with 802.11b; 802.11g is good.
For me, the only problem with the strange video aspect ratio is inability to
support an external monitor.
tpctl AFAICS supports only 32-bit OS, so the bright screen draws battery down fast.
At least there's a wireless on-off switch.  The Lenovo software updates prevented
ever disabling Intel wireless on the T40.
Audio CDs won't play except when linux is rebooted with the CD in place (!).
Firefox freezes fairly frequently; can be killed and usually resumed.
What can you expect?  MS Communicator just crashed, as it does several times a week,
 and took Outlook with it.  My
employer removed the Lenovo Vista-32 and put XP-32 on.  AFAIK no 64-bit Windows
drivers are available, so linux is the only 64-bit choice.

----------MB_8CA380528EA9761_270_3E15_webmail-nf05.sim.aol.com

-----Original Message-----<br>