[ltp] Don't trust the kensington lock socket

Fri, 08 Feb 2008 16:36:40 +0000

chris@idlelion.net wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Richard Neill wrote:
>> Some slimebag just stole one of our company laptops, which was an R60e
>> thinkpad, used for video-streaming and transcoding. It was locked to the
>> desk with a kensington lock. The lock itself remains undamaged, and in
>> the locked position, but the thinkpad is missing: the thief quite
>> clearly just ripped it away from the lock, tearing out the socket in the
>> corner of the laptop.
>
> Call Lenovo right away and let them know the machine was stolen. If it
> should come in for warranty repair, they... well... I don't know what
> they do, but they do something. Ask what that is.
>
> You might get it back some day.
>
> Best,
> Chris

Thank you for the advice. I've logged this with Lenovo. Since this
thread will be indexed by google, I shall include the details here:

Stolen Thinkpad, taken from The Cambridge Union Society on 6th or 7th
February 2008.
Model Name: R60e.
Type/Model number: 06574TG
(Order code: UQ14TUK)
Serial Number: L3C5664
15" 1024x768 display, 60 GB HDD, T2500 CPU,

Was running Ubuntu Feisty (dual boot WinXP), hostname ardbeg.
Ethernet MAC address: 00:16:D3:2B:4B:87
Wireless MAC address: 00:18:DE:02:98:54

Kensington Lock socket will be broken: it was ripped out by the thief.

Contact Richard Neill, www.richardneill.org

Regards,

Richard