[ltp] Fedora on T60

Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:10:54 -0600 (CST)

Hey all,

I've started this page on ThinkWiki:
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Fedora_on_a_ThinkPad_T60

I'd like to make the definitive resource for getting the latest Fedora
running in top shape on this machine in all its variants, mostly because I
have Fedora on my T60 and plan to use it to do real work, and to play, and
I want to have this resource so I don't have to continue to futz with this
machine all the time. I could use help.

I'm a very technical user (electrical engineering degree and 15 years of
software development experience), and it's not easy for me. I imagine most
Windows users will give up long before they have a usable machine.

I'm no Linux or Fedora (started with Red Hat 6.0) newb, but I have not
kept up to date on video drivers, suspend/resume issues, WWAN, HDAPS and
all the rest. Pointers to articles or other pages are sincerely
appreciated. Also, I wouldn't mind at all getting e-mail if you would like
to contribute but don't want to make a ThinkWiki account to do it, or if
you just want to start a discussion.

My goal is to get the T60 running Fedora just as well as it runs Windows,
and which are not working after the normal install:
- Full 2D and 3D acceleration
- All devices working
   - Bluetooth
   - WWAN
   - IrDA
     etc.
- Suspend to RAM and disk along with all that
- Function keys working as expected
   - F3 to blank display
   - F5 to control radio power
   - F7 for display selection
   - F8 for pointing device control
- Dual-head and display detection

I am a software developer and am willing to dig into the code, but I
haven't done it yet and I don't have scads of time. I have a 2623-D7U,
meaning ATI X1400, 3945 ABG card, Verizon WWAN, bluetooth and fingerprint
reader. I don't have the Intel video or other WiFi or WWAN cards.

Anyone care to chip in a little effort, even just to point me to the right
places to look? Contributions to the article or the discussion tab are
also very welcome.

Many thanks,
Chris