[ltp] Re: enabling protect file for hdaps on t61

Elias Oltmanns linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 00:18:01 +0100

Rolf Kutz <rk@vzsze.de> wrote:
> On 09/02/08 23:23 +0100, Elias Oltmanns wrote:
>>Rolf Kutz <rk@vzsze.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.hdaps.devel/1094
>>
>>Please don't use the hdaps patch with 2.6.24 yet. In fact, I'm quite
>>convinced that there is a bug in the scsi error handler so you might
>>want to wait before switching to 2.6.24 unless you don't mind occasional
>>system freezes.
>
> It works here and I didn't notice any freezes.

Is this with libata (and ata_piix in particular)? Try the following
experiment:

Switch to single user mode and remount the partitions read only. Perform
the following commands:

# cat some-big-file > /dev/null &
# echo 1 > /sys/block/sda/queue/protect

Repeat the second one several times while the read operation of the
first one is in progress. Make sure that you actually hear the drive
park heads and resume normal operation. My system freezes after the
third park command at the latest.

Mind you, this doesn't apply to the old style IDE drivers.

Regards,

Elias