[ltp] Re: RFC: removal of video output switching from thinkpad-acpi

Paul Fox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:37:11 -0500

henrique de moraes holschuh wrote:
 > On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > i have an X41 (laptop, not tablet), and can also test, if someone
 > > enumerates what i should do.  F7 used to work okay -- i had to
 > > patch the X-server some time back to get the correct behavior (i've
 > > actually forgotten what the incorrect behavior was, though i can
 > > look it up), but i think it's okay now.  i'm running a stock
 > > ubuntu gutsy, currently.
 >
 > I'd need you to test the various "video" thinkpad-acpi commands while in
 > console mode and also while in X.org mode.
 >
 > You'll obviously need to connect an extrenal display to your thinkpad to do
 > this.

okay, i can do this.  first, my configuration, and then questions:

again, i'm running an almost stock ubuntu gutsy 7.10, on an X41 laptop.

from dmesg:
    [   16.824000] agpgart: Detected an Intel 915GM Chipset.

from /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
    X Window System Version 1.3.0
    Release Date: 19 April 2007
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
    Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12ubuntu8.3)
    Current Operating System: Linux coleus 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Fri Feb 1 04:59:50 UTC 2008 i686
    Build Date: 18 January 2008
    (==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
    (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen" (0)
    (**) |   |-->Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    (**) |   |-->Device "Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller"
    (**) |-->Input Device "Generic Keyboard"
    (**) |-->Input Device "Configured Mouse"
    (**) |-->Input Device "Synaptics Touchpad"

acpi version:
    $ dpkg -s acpi-support
    Package: acpi-support
    Section: admin
    Installed-Size: 856
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Core developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 0.103

module information:
    $ lsmod | grep think
    thinkpad_acpi          44588  0
    $ modinfo thinkpad_acpi
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/misc/thinkpad_acpi.ko
    alias:          ibm_acpi
    license:        GPL
    version:        0.14
    author:         Borislav Deianov, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
    srcversion:     6E369BA0B98F60073408053
    depends:
    vermagic:       2.6.22-14-generic SMP mod_unload 586
    parm:           experimental:int
    parm:           debug:uint
    parm:           force_load:int
    parm:           fan_control:int

let me know if there's more config or version information that you need.

i believe i've only made two non-video-related changes to the
contents of /etc/acpi:
    - powerbtn.sh unconditionally invokes my own console-based
	shutdown menu, since otherwise the shutdown is immediate
	when in console mode, and i'd rather get a choice of
	shutdown/reboot/sleep/cancel.

    - i've modified ibm-wireless.sh to invoke my own consoled-based
	network stumbler program, which also has a radio on/off
	command within it.  however, FN-5 stopped invoking this script
	some time ago -- i get no acpi events from FN-5 at all.

i assume that by "thinkpad-acpi commands", you're referring to the
scripts under /etc/acpi?  if not, what should i install?

without knowing what's going on under the covers, currently if
i simply use FN-7 to attempt to switch between lcd panel and
external monitor i get:
    - in X, i get both screens on, all the time
    - in the console, i get just the LCD, all the time.

having looked at the log output in /var/log/acpid, and hence into the
file /etc/acpi/events/ibmvideobtn, i suppose i shouldn't be surprised
that nothing is happening:  the command being invoked is /bin/true.  :-)

okay -- time for you to tell me what i should install or reconfigure
or test...

paul
 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 30.4 degrees)