[ltp] T42p + Battery Rundown and results

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:56:46 -0500

Richard Neill wrote:
> David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>
>> What is the liklihood that these "aftermarket" battery packs are of the
>> same quality and capacity as the original IBM units? The price
>> difference is shockingly different between the two.
>>

> Probably just as good. Certainly, I used a 3rd party replacement for my
> A22p with no worries. Check that the cell manufacturer is a reputable
> company (eg Sony, Panasonic etc); then it doesn't matter too much who
> puts them together into a plastic outer casing.
>
> Richard

The charger, which IIRC is built into the battery pack, is crucial to
the safe charging of LiION batteries.  A shoddy charger could cause
serious problems.  A failure there could literally cause your computer
to become toast.