[ltp] T42p + Battery Rundown and results

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:12:23 -0500

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 03:06:23PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > > But it *will* still be at 50% original capacity after two years, unless you
> > > live in a very cold climate (when it won't work right anyway, soo... :) ).
> >
> > I've seen so much contradictory advice on this subject,
> > but very little if any experimental evidence.
> > I begin to suspect that batteries will last for much the same time
> > whatever way they are treated.
>
> I have one which I keep in the refrigerator, and one I usue daily.  The one
> I use daily degrated 50% already.  The one in the refrigerator, less than
> 10% so far.
>
> So, yes, in my experience it makes a LOT of difference.

Temperature clearly makes a difference, yes.  It's not clear to me how
much difference it to battery life to do either:

1) Always keep the battery charge between 35% and 85%.  (I.e., never
start charging until it drops below 85%, and stop charging at 85%).

2) Charge the battery up to 100%, but then don't start charging it
until it drops below 85%.

3) Change the battery up to 100%, and then don't start charging until
it drops below 95%.

#3 is the BIOS default, and I believe it makes a difference to the
battery life to do #2 and #1, but the question is whether the
difference is enough to be worth it.

						- Ted