[ltp] Re: [OT] Celsius vs centigrade

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:25:29 -0500

Marcin Trybus wrote:
> The angle measurement you mention (grad) is just as stupid, as the pi
> number equal to 3.2, that was about to be used in the American state of
> Indiana 111 years ago.

Pie are squared?  I thought pie are round!  ;-)

Also, grad or gradient is used in civil engineering, where it has
certain advantages.  Radians are common in science and engineering and
degrees in navigation.  At one time navigation was by points of the
compass, such as north or south east etc.

As for Indiana and Pi, there have been a lot of examples, throughout
history, where politicians have attempted to pass laws that violate
reality.  Some recent examples have to do with filtering internet content.