[ltp] Re: [OT] Celsius vs centigrade

Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:32:58 +0000

James Knott wrote:
> Marcin Trybus wrote:
>> The angle measurement you mention (grad) is just as stupid, as the pi
>> number equal to 3.2, that was about to be used in the American state of
>> Indiana 111 years ago.
>
> Pie are squared?  I thought pie are round!  ;-)

On a slightly more linux-related theme, have you all discovered the
wonderful "units" CLI program. It can convert from virtually any unit
into virtually any other (conformable) one.

It's worth pointing out a particular gotcha though, namely in converting
temperatures. How many degrees fahrenheit is 100 degrees celsius? It is
*not* 212, but 180 !  Think "interval", rather than "position".

You have: 100 degC			#What you think you want
You want: degF
        * 180
        / 0.0055555556

You have: tempC(100)			#What you probably want
You want: tempF
        212

Best wishes,

Richard