[ltp] Should I use 64-bit or 32-bit for my new Thinkpads?

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 00:35:48 +0200

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:10:47 -0800
Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 04:35:49PM -0500, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> > Should I install a 64-bit Linux on the T61p, or stick with a 32-bit
> > Linux? I'm not sure a 64-bit version of Linux would really give me any
> > benefits, and it would certainly limit what software I can run by a
> > fairly significant amount (the Adobe Flash plugin for Firefox being
> > one good example).

Actually if you install the 32bit libraries most things work. The only thing I
ran into up to now that doesn't work, at least with the support of the 32bit
libraries is the browser java plugin

> Conventional wisdom is that architecturally x86-64 is far superior to
> x86-32, between the extra registers and the extra vm room.  I don't
> have numbers offhand, but the theory says there should be a moderate
> speed boost from using x86-64.  (The increased VM room is also

Practice shows negligible if any boost usually, sometimes even a speed
decrease, and all this at the cost of higher memory usage.

> critical if you run large apps -- I have simulations that regularly
> use >2G of memory, and on 32bit that just doesn't... work so well.)

If you have a lot of memory (over 2 or 3 GIGs) or you do memory intensive
mathematical calculations, you are probably better off running 32bit for the
moment.