[ltp] Should I use 64-bit or 32-bit for my new Thinkpads?

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:05:57 -0800

David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> Has anyone done an analysis using 32-bit vs. 64-bit Linux on this hardware?

Have you checked the archives of this mailing list?  If so, what don't you
understand about what has been said there?  If you want to make a point by
point comparison, beyond what has been reported, choose some distro,
install both 32- and 64-bit versions, update them, and make the comparison
yourself.  Let us know what you find out.
> Any other major gotchas I should consider before I receive these machines?
Please define gotcha.  If you read the archives, you must have noticed the
reports that you must get by without tpctl if you choose 64-bit.
Recent updates have helped browser stability.  If you call it a gotcha,
yes, you should install updates, if you choose x86-64.  I would do so,
even if I chose 32-bit.
I don't see what bringing up 4965AGN drivers has to do with the 32- vs
64-bit question.  The 64-bit iwl4965 doesn't support 802.11b, as far as I
have been able to determine.  802.11g support is good, except that I have
had no success with T-mobl access points.  I have no evidence that the
situation is different in 32-bit.  Problems people may have had months ago
don't look topical to me.
I have no regrets about choosing 64-bit linux for T61. You seem to think
your special requirements are evident, but they may be entirely different
from mine.  64-bit linux support for thinkpad seems to be way ahead of
64-bit Windows.
I am posting this from current OpenSuSE 10.3 x86-64 on T61.