[ltp] OT: Lenovo Return Policy Advice

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:19:47 -0500

Michael B Allen wrote:
> Sorry this is a little OT but I know people here are probably really
> savvy about this sort of thing.
>
> I just got a brand new T61 and it's making all sorts of nasty noises
> from the speakers and keyboard.
>
> So I want to return it but they won't take it unless I pay a whopping
> 15% restocking fee AND shipping. They claim there must be one attempt
> to repair it before they will accept the return without fees. I don't
> want a brand new repaired laptop and I'm annoyed and just want my
> money back.
>
> Anyone have any advice or did I just get screwed out of $200?
>
> Mike

Generally speaking, a vendor is under no responsibility to take back
something you don't want anymore.  If it is defective, get it repaired
under warranty, as that's the limit of their responsibility.  If you
bought a new car, would you expect the dealer or manufacturer to take it
back, simply because something needed to be repaired?