[ltp] OT: Lenovo Return Policy Advice

Hamish linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:12:20 +0000

On Tuesday 19 February 2008 02:19:47 James Knott wrote:
> Michael B Allen wrote:
> > Sorry this is a little OT but I know people here are probably really
> > savvy about this sort of thing.
> >
> > I just got a brand new T61 and it's making all sorts of nasty noises
> > from the speakers and keyboard.
> >
> > So I want to return it but they won't take it unless I pay a whopping
> > 15% restocking fee AND shipping. They claim there must be one attempt
> > to repair it before they will accept the return without fees. I don't
> > want a brand new repaired laptop and I'm annoyed and just want my
> > money back.
> >
> > Anyone have any advice or did I just get screwed out of $200?
> >
> > Mike
>
> Generally speaking, a vendor is under no responsibility to take back
> something you don't want anymore.  If it is defective, get it repaired
> under warranty, as that's the limit of their responsibility.  If you
> bought a new car, would you expect the dealer or manufacturer to take it
> back, simply because something needed to be repaired?

Yes. For example I bought a new BMW 5 series and the seats flopped around. Or
the car was unbearably noisy on the motorway, or the wheel fell off.

Things you purchase should be fit for purpose. If it's not fit for purpose
then the vendor (Retailer) should be taking the goods back & returning them
to the manufacturer for you. It's the only way to stop companies selling
shite.

(Clearly a brand-new T61 making nasty noises is not fit for purpose. I would
heartily recommend not gettign it repaired but push for a full refund (In
some countries opting for the repair will actually limit what you can do
afterwards. For example in NZ you could either gtet your money back to get it
repaired. But if you got it repaired you couldn't then get your money back.
That MAY have changed since then though. Now I'm in the UK where it's illegal
for a company to refuse to take back faulty goods).