[ltp] volume button debian/ubuntu

Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:52:31 -0300

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> I recently switched to ubuntu (from debian), and one of the small things
> that annoys me is the way the hardware volume buttons work: They control
> a fader in the gnome mixer.

PLEASE file a bug in Ubuntu.  Ubuntu did the above crap even after I pointed
out it was a non-acceptable way to deal with the ThinkPad mixer, they *were*
told it was the wrong thing to do numerous times, and just turn a deaf ear
to me.

At the very least, they have to tell you how to remove their hideous crap of
a hack from HAL to stop the above.

> Under debian they seemed to control "something beneath this", at least I
> was able to press mute, and all sound would go away from the build in
> speakers *but still* come out of the mini jack in the docking station.

Correct.  In Ubuntu, they control *both*, which of course will completely
break your setup.

> Does anyone know how to make ubuntu behave like debian? At least how to
> turn off the build in speakers?

thinkpad-acpi can mute and directly control the volume of the speaker mixer,
try it (/proc/acpi/ibm/volume).

  Henrique Holschuh