[ltp] xorg.conf ignored?

Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:57:59 +0200

--cmJC7u66zC7hs+87

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 06:11:58AM -0800, bhaskins@chartermi.net wrote:
> I may be wrong about this but it seems that
> recent distros, Ubuntu, Fedora... are ignoring=20
> xorg.conf

Could you be more specific?

> > Section "Screen"
> >  	Identifier "Screen0"
> >  	Device     "Videocard0"
> >  	DefaultDepth     24
> >  	SubSection "Display"
> I have added several X Y selections here=20

What does that mean?

> and they don't show up under the screen selection menu
> or after reboot.

When did you ever see a screen selection menu on boot?

> All that I have added are possible, I have used them in
> previous distros.

Please show us your xorg.conf and tell us what you want it do do that's
not happening.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 11:31:10AM -0500, bhaskins@chartermi.net wrote:
> This LT uses the ATI driver.

I'll stab a wild guess: you're trying to use more than one monitor.

Recent versions of the open-source driver for ATI cards dropped support
for statically-configured dual-head and instead let you use xrandr to
configure as many monitors as you want dynamically. See
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

The newest versions revived the support for the old-style
configurations, but I bet you don't have that version yet.  I think it
was released yesterday.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign respect for technical incompetance.

--cmJC7u66zC7hs+87

--cmJC7u66zC7hs+87--