[ltp] OT: Lenovo Return Policy Advice

Wed, 20 Feb 2008 00:49:27 +0000

Marcin Trybus wrote:
> Richard Neill wrote:
>
>> Trivial workaround:
>>
>>   nice -n 19 yes > /dev/null
>>
>> will keep the CPU usage at 100%, without harming other applications' use
>> of the CPU. This is probably the easiest test.
>
> I'm lost. What exactly I'm supposed to workaround and/or test and why?
> Sorry for being clueless...

What I meant was: if you think that your interference is caused by the
CPU constantly switching in and out of sleep states, then it's quite
easy to temporarily stop this. The command above will force your CPU to
stay at 100% usage - though the "nice" part makes sure that the process
priority is very low, and so it won't make your system unresponsive.
This is really a diagnostic rather than a fix, since it also pushes
power-consumption and temperature up.

Regards,

Richard