[ltp] Re: RFC: removal of video output switching from thinkpad-acpi

Paul Fox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:32:44 -0500

alex wrote:
 > On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Paul Fox <pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us> wrote:
 > > henrique de moraes holschuh wrote:
 > >   > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Paul Fox wrote:
 > >   > > henrique -- were these results helpful?
 > >   >
 > >   > Yeah, thanks!
 > >   >
 > >   > I kept note of all replies.  I still am not sure if I
 > >   > will yank it away, but it will be optional to compile
 > >   > video output support (saves at least 2kb on the kernel
 > >   > image, which is enough to bother with it, when you
 > >   > consider you want to reduce L1 and L2 cache usage).
 > >
 > > i guess maybe i need to re-read a faq or tutorial or readme.
 > > i'm lost.
 > >
 > > given that my X41 now won't select between monitors properly
 > > either under X or at the console using the /proc node, how
 > > am i supposed to accomplish this switching?
 >
 > use xrandr under X or the hotkey in the console.

well, i've explored xrandr, and i understand how i could make
that work.  but the hotkey does nothing when at the console --
how can it, when the script that acpi invokes is /bin/true?  i'm
willing to change the script, but if the /proc node doesn't work
(and if henrique is thinking of pulling support for it in any
case), what should the hotkey's acpi script do when the console
is active?

or, put another way -- the acpi/events binding says it's a
placeholder.  for what?  :-)

paul
 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 26.4 degrees)