[ltp] Re: RFC: removal of video output switching from thinkpad-acpi

Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:25:05 -0300

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Elias Oltmanns wrote:
> As I found out only this weekend, there is (on my X40 at least). If I
> mask this hotkey, so thinkpad-acpi won't handle it, and if I prevent my
> system from loading the video module, then I can switch to and from CRT.

Please send me the dmidecode and acpidump information for your X40, I want
to have a look on what the video module could be doing that messes with the
firmware switching...

> Mind you, there is no way to enable CRT and LCD at the same time.

That's quite a typical problem on firmware switching, yes.  The ATI X300
version of the T43 can do it, depending on the resolution in use, but that
means little for older versions of the firmware, OR for thinkpads with
different GPUs.

> Well, I for one would greatly appreciate that since I use scripts for
> automated video switching on a regular basis.

Very well.  For now, I will just make video optional and I will put its
conversion to sysfs in the backburner TODO list, and get to it eventually.
I won't remove it.

  Henrique Holschuh