X61s (Re: [ltp] Self-install or commercial install?)

Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:32:50 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Haines Brown wrote:
>> I think built-in WWAN is a no-go. I don't know of any other terrible
>> issues. I'm happy enough with the 4965AGN wireless.

> As for the Thinkpad X61s, the first major option is to choose whether
> or not to have "Mobile Broadband". It adds $140 to the price, but not
> sure what it refers to beyond that it offers broadband data transfer,
> such as VoIP. Is this the WWAN to which you referred?

Same thing.

> I've no idea whether I expect to be out of range of a WiFi AP. My main
> need is to access my home machine by SSH from a laptop. I suppose that
> WiFi would probably work in any city, in airports, on a cruise liner,
> and in city suburbs, some hotels, some campuses, etc., but spotty when
> in small towns and countryside. Is there any hotspot coverage map?

Since each hot spot is operated by someone else, there is no coverage map.
WiFi only goes about 100 feet indoors, and sometimes not all that well. I
have one access point and a repeater in my home.

Many places also charge you to use their WiFi service.

Some cities do have WiFi and some even have free WiFi (Portland, OR for
instance).

Chris