X61s (Re: [ltp] Self-install or commercial install?)

Adrian Walker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:01:11 -0500

------=_Part_4449_10607221.1203616871469

Hi All --

The following, posted a while ago, is for an X60s, but hopefully relevant to
X61 also.

As a newbie to installing RedHat linux on a Lenovo X60s, I received some
good advice from the list, for which many thanks.

Fedora is now running fine on the X60s, except for wireless and screen
brightness control [later got a simple fix for this].

For other folks who might be new to this particular install, here are some
hopefully useful things discovered along the way.

I downloaded the Fedora files to a Windows XP machine, burnt them to media,
then used that to install on the X60s.

1.  The Fedora version I used is Core 6.  (Core 7 appears to be only for 64
bit machines as of Sept 2007).

2. Older versions of Fedora (I tried 4 first) have severe problems
installing on the X60s.

3.  Don't even think of trying to handle the single DVD image of FC6 on a
Windows XP machine.  Mine went seriously haywire trying to check the
SHA1SUM, and could not burn the unchecked file.  Seems the file is just too
big for XP. Use the 4-CD download instead.

4.  If booting from the first CD does not go quite right first off, you may
get stuck in the Grub boot loader, without  a working "quit" command!
Switch everything off, and try again from "cold" state.

Hope this helps.  Any hints about controlling screen brightness without
recompiling the kernel much appreciated [list folks kindly supplied a simple
fix for this]. Likewise for enabling wireless.

                                                  Cheers,  -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com>
wrote:

> > > As for the Thinkpad X61s, the first major option is to choose whether
> > > or not to have "Mobile Broadband". It adds $140 to the price, but not
> > > sure what it refers to beyond that it offers broadband data transfer,
> > > such as VoIP. Is this the WWAN to which you referred?
> >
> > Same thing.
>
> Chris, thanks. With that knowlede, I'm going ahead and get the X61s,
> for I'll have time to iron out the kinks.
>
> I plan to do a Sidux install from USB-key.
>
> Haines
> --

------=_Part_4449_10607221.1203616871469

Fedora is now running fine on the X60s, except for wireless and screen brightness control [later got a simple fix for this].<br>
For other folks who might be new to this particular install, here are some hopefully useful things discovered along the way.<br>
I downloaded the Fedora files to a Windows XP machine, burnt them to media, then used that to install on the X60s.<br>
1.&nbsp; The Fedora version I used is Core 6.&nbsp; (Core 7 appears to be only for 64 bit machines as of Sept 2007).<br>
&nbsp;<br>
2. Older versions of Fedora (I tried 4 first) have severe problems installing on the X60s.<br>
3.&nbsp; Don&#39;t even think of trying to handle the single DVD image of
FC6 on a Windows XP machine.&nbsp; Mine went seriously haywire trying
to check the SHA1SUM, and could not burn the unchecked file.&nbsp;
Seems the file is just too big for XP. Use the 4-CD download instead.<br>
4.&nbsp; If booting from the first CD does not go quite right first
off, you may get stuck in the Grub boot loader, without&nbsp; a working
&quot;quit&quot; command! &nbsp; Switch everything off, and try again from &quot;cold&quot;
state.<br>
Hope this helps.&nbsp; Any hints about controlling screen brightness
without recompiling the kernel much appreciated [list folks kindly supplied a simple fix for this]. Likewise for enabling
wireless.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<div id="1fl7" class="ArwC7c ckChnd">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&gt; &gt; or not to have &quot;Mobile Broadband&quot;. It adds $140 to the price, but not<br>
&gt; &gt; sure what it refers to beyond that it offers broadband data transfer,<br>
&gt; &gt; such as VoIP. Is this the WWAN to which you referred?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Same thing.<br>
for I&#39;ll have time to iron out the kinks.<br>
I plan to do a Sidux install from USB-key.<br>
Haines<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>

------=_Part_4449_10607221.1203616871469--