[ltp] Loose power connection in T43

Fri, 22 Feb 2008 02:50:27 +0000

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> The power connection to my T43 has failed,
> because the plug no longer fits tightly
> into the socket at the back of the computer.
>
> It seems to me there is spring of some sort on the side of the socket
> which holds the plug in, and this has become weak or broken.
>
> Is this a common failing?

I had a 760 which got that problem. The 760 was made with a really weird
connector; in the end I got out the soldering iron!

> And is there a simple solution?

Yes, it's easy to fix - but how daring are you? Possible options:

 * Bend the socket a little, using pliers  (WARNING: could crack
motherboard)

 * Open up machine, solder in a replacement socket (ideally, of the
right FRU type, from IBM)

 * Make the plug wider eg by wrapping a thin piece of copper sheet
around it. Be careful of shorts.

 * Use a docking station, and the power socket on there.

HTH,

Richard