[ltp] IBM T43P (ATI FireGL V3200) - Dual Head Setup - External Display Blurry

fredrik lassen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:48:22 +0100

------=_Part_9942_340830.1203677302795

hi,

thanks for the suggestion. i don't have a lot of experience with tweaking
xservers, so please bear with me ...

i got xrandr from git - did all the steps autogen.sh, make, and make
installed it - that all worked, but it did not change anything :/

you also seem to suggest using radeonhd - but i don't think radeonhd
supports the graphics cards i have (ATI Technologies Inc M24GL [Mobility
FireGL V3200]).
i tried installing it anyway (following instructions here:
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/ATI-Grafikkarten/RadeonHD), but the xserver just
totally borked.

any other ideas?

best regards,

fredrik

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Michael Gaber <Michael.Gaber@gmx.net>
wrote:

> try using yrandr from git.
> there have been some bugs fixed which were at least blockers on radeonhd
> and have not made it into a release yet
>
> fredrik lassen schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an T43p (14" 1400x1050) with a ATI FireGl V3200 and I run Ubuntu
> > 7.10.
> >
> > I have been able to set it up as a dual-head without further ado with
> > both "ati" and "fgrlx" drivers. But using the "ati"  driver (and xrandr)
> > the external output (VGA) is distinctly blurry. The resolution is
> > detected / set correctly via xrandr to 1680x1050 (Samsung 226BW) - yet
> > the display is distinctly blurry.
> >
> > I don't think it is a hardware/signal problem because when I use the
> > fglrx driver the same external display is crisp - same story under
> > Windows. Using "fglrx" is though not really an option because I would
> > need to activate the "SWCursor"-option due to a bug with the proprietary
> > driver - otherwise the mouse cursor is all messed up
> > (http://davestation.wordpress.com/2007/06/12/xinerama/).
> >
> > I have tried forcing frequencies via xrandr - but I do not really know
> > my ways with xrandr/X11 - any ideas how to go about this? - Any help
> > would be much appreciated!
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Fredrik

------=_Part_9942_340830.1203677302795

there have been some bugs fixed which were at least blockers on radeonhd<br>
and have not made it into a release yet<br>
fredrik lassen schrieb:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I have an T43p (14&quot; 1400x1050) with a ATI FireGl V3200 and I run Ubuntu<br>
&gt; 7.10.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I have been able to set it up as a dual-head without further ado with<br>
&gt; both &quot;ati&quot; and &quot;fgrlx&quot; drivers. But using the &quot;ati&quot; &nbsp;driver (and xrandr)<br>
&gt; the external output (VGA) is distinctly blurry. The resolution is<br>
&gt; detected / set correctly via xrandr to 1680x1050 (Samsung 226BW) - yet<br>
&gt; the display is distinctly blurry.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I don&#39;t think it is a hardware/signal problem because when I use the<br>
&gt; fglrx driver the same external display is crisp - same story under<br>
&gt; Windows. Using &quot;fglrx&quot; is though not really an option because I would<br>
&gt; need to activate the &quot;SWCursor&quot;-option due to a bug with the proprietary<br>
&gt; driver - otherwise the mouse cursor is all messed up<br>
&gt; (<a href="http://davestation.wordpress.com/2007/06/12/xinerama/" target="_blank">http://davestation.wordpress.com/2007/06/12/xinerama/</a>).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I have tried forcing frequencies via xrandr - but I do not really know<br>
&gt; my ways with xrandr/X11 - any ideas how to go about this? - Any help<br>
&gt; would be much appreciated!<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Best Regards,<br>
&gt;<br>