[ltp] Re: Can you trust your firmware?

Marc Lagies linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:56:48 +0100

John Sullivan wrote:
> Marc Lagies <lagies@mi.fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> are there any open source alternatives to the IBM/Lenovo BIOS firmware
>> available? I would enjoy to compile the BIOS firmware by myself.
>>

> At the FSF we've been trying to help promote projects along these lines.
> <http://coreboot.org> is the one that's running on my workstation now.
>
> But there isn't anything that works on a laptop yet, except for the
> OLPC, as far as I know.

Unfortunately, even for suspicious, security aware open source
enthusiasts, these OLPC laptops are hard to get. And to be honest, right
now I can hardly imagine of exchanging an x-type Thinkpad for one of
these... nor even 20. ;-)

But my next workstation will be as open source as possible... OpenSPARC
seems quite sexy to me.

Marc