[ltp] T61 volume button not works

Rafael Tovar Florencio linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:32:07 +0100

>> second. I have a T61 14,1'' with Nvidia. I works with Kubuntu 7.10, but
>> volume buttons never works, only mute button. 2 Days later I update the
>> bios with the new version and mute button don't work yet. I have install
>> tpb, kmilo and kmilo-legacy. Mute screen works (mute/unmute) but not
>> really.
>>
>> Somebody with the same problem? solution?
>
> I use Ubuntu, and not Kubuntu.  As far as I know, with the latest BIOS
> version the volume keys act as regular keyboard keys in Ubuntu.  However
> the software doesn't know which mixer channel to control when it gets
> the key events (there's no "Master" channel that's the default, so GNOME
> falls back to "Mic").  With Ubuntu you can fix that by going to System
> -> Preferences -> Sound and choosing "PCM" as the mixer channel to
> control.  I don't know how to do that in Kubuntu.
>
> You may want to add your complaint to this bug report:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/184167

This solution not works in Kubuntu. I select PCM as the principal mixer
channel but not works. However I select Mic as the principal channel
kmix mute the mic channel when I press the mute button, but not with
PCM. Now with the volume up and down button I configured a keyboard
shortcut with kde and dcop, this works perfectly, except the mute
action; kmix mute, but the speakers continue sound. ???

Thanks!

Rafael Tovar
www.rafaeltovar.info
Seville, spain