[ltp] Thinkpad utilities query

Dom linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:55:17 +0100

Nigel Wilkinson wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:25:22 +0100
> Adam Sloboda <ja@disorder.sk> wrote:
>

>> I have in my .xsession:
>>
>>   synclient TouchpadOff=1;
>>
>> This requires this option for synaptics driver (xorg.conf):
>>
>>         Option          "SHMConfig"             "true"
>>

> This seemed to be what I was looking for so My xorg.conf now contains
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier  "Synaptics Touchpad"
> 	Driver      "synaptics"
> 	Option	    "SendCoreEvents" "true"
> 	Option	    "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> 	Option	    "Protocol" "auto-dev"
> 	Option	    "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
> 	Option	    "SHMConfig" "true"
> EndSection
>
> but when I try to switch the touchpad off I get the following
>
> nigel@henry:~$ synclient TouchpadOff=1
> Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?
> nigel@henry:~$
>
> anyone know why.
>
> Note: I'm using Xubuntu 7.10
>
> Cheers
> Nigel

I had the same problem and the solution for me was to completely disable
TouchPad in BIOS because I never use it and it just gets in the way.
And judging by your first message, this could be a quick and simple
solution for you too.

However, for the few friends of mine who occasionally use this ThinkPad,
and don't like the nipple as much as I do, I'll monitor this thread in
hope someone actually gives a solution to "Can't access shared memory
area. SHMConfig disabled?" problem, so I can enable/disable the TouchPad
while in X.

Dom
http://domdelimar.com