[ltp] T61 volume button not works

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:25:05 +0200

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:32:07 +0100
Rafael Tovar Florencio <rafaeltovar@nodo50.org> wrote:

> >> second. I have a T61 14,1'' with Nvidia. I works with Kubuntu 7.10, but
> >> volume buttons never works, only mute button. 2 Days later I update the
> >> bios with the new version and mute button don't work yet. I have install
> >> tpb, kmilo and kmilo-legacy. Mute screen works (mute/unmute) but not
> >> really.
> >>
> >> Somebody with the same problem? solution?
> >
> > I use Ubuntu, and not Kubuntu.  As far as I know, with the latest BIOS
> > version the volume keys act as regular keyboard keys in Ubuntu.  However
> > the software doesn't know which mixer channel to control when it gets
> > the key events (there's no "Master" channel that's the default, so GNOME
> > falls back to "Mic").  With Ubuntu you can fix that by going to System
> > -> Preferences -> Sound and choosing "PCM" as the mixer channel to
> > control.  I don't know how to do that in Kubuntu.
> >
> > You may want to add your complaint to this bug report:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/184167
>
> This solution not works in Kubuntu. I select PCM as the principal mixer
> channel but not works. However I select Mic as the principal channel
> kmix mute the mic channel when I press the mute button, but not with
> PCM. Now with the volume up and down button I configured a keyboard
> shortcut with kde and dcop, this works perfectly, except the mute
> action; kmix mute, but the speakers continue sound. ???

AFAIK gnome mutes by saving the volume and then dropping it to zero.
Don't know about kde. The problem is that hardware mute does not work with the
PCM channel since it doesn't support mute, only volume changes. There are
difference channels for the speaker and headphones that support only mute,
supposedly allowing to mute only one of them (don't remember if the speaker
channel actually mutes both or not)

for muting you can configure a shortcut
amixer sset Speaker toggle
to toggle the mute. The only problem with that is that on my machine it
produces a crackle in the speaker and the panel doesn't show whether the volume
is actually muted