[ltp] WWAN: X60 suse 10.2 advice please...

Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:21:41 +0200

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 08:23:35AM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
> The problem is that setting up the pppd chat scripts is *just*
> complicated enough that most casual users have a huge amount of
> problems setting it up, but it's not quite complicated enough for
> someone to think about packaging it, soliciting contributions for the
> different chat script (which typically are slightly different for each
> provider) and maybe putting a nice GUI in front of it so that newbie
> users who only understand how to use Windows-style control panel could
> just click and pull down their Country, Type of connection (i.e., GSM
> data via Bluetooth, EVDO ervice, dialup modem etc.), ISP provider, and
> then have the appropriate configuration scripts in /etc/ppp/peers set
> up automatically.

Newer versions of Network Manager supposedly Just Work with GSM & CDMA
cards:

  http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2008/02/19/so-much-just-works-it-hurts/
  http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/category/networkmanager/

(Having written five different of chatscripts + pppd config files for
five slightly models of GSM cards I have some lingering doubts.)

Marius Gedminas
--=20
=2E..Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly).
                -- Matt Welsh

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF--