[ltp] T61 volume button not works

Jens Rutschmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:29:10 +0100

Micha schrieb am 24.02.2008 07:25:

>>> I use Ubuntu, and not Kubuntu.  As far as I know, with the latest BIOS
>>> version the volume keys act as regular keyboard keys in Ubuntu.  However
>>> the software doesn't know which mixer channel to control when it gets
>>> the key events (there's no "Master" channel that's the default, so GNOME
>>> falls back to "Mic").  With Ubuntu you can fix that by going to System
>>> -> Preferences -> Sound and choosing "PCM" as the mixer channel to
>>> control.  I don't know how to do that in Kubuntu.
>>>
>>> You may want to add your complaint to this bug report:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/184167
>> This solution not works in Kubuntu. I select PCM as the principal mixer
>> channel but not works. However I select Mic as the principal channel
>> kmix mute the mic channel when I press the mute button, but not with
>> PCM. Now with the volume up and down button I configured a keyboard
>> shortcut with kde and dcop, this works perfectly, except the mute
>> action; kmix mute, but the speakers continue sound. ???
>>

> AFAIK gnome mutes by saving the volume and then dropping it to zero.
> Don't know about kde. The problem is that hardware mute does not work with the
> PCM channel since it doesn't support mute, only volume changes. There are
> difference channels for the speaker and headphones that support only mute,
> supposedly allowing to mute only one of them (don't remember if the speaker
> channel actually mutes both or not)

In kernel 2.6.25-rc2 a virtual master device has been added to the intel hda driver.
I am already using this version of the driver on my T61 and it works quite well.

Perhaps you may try the vanilla 2.6.25-rc2 kernel, or if you prefer using 2.6.24
  then try the zen-sources patchset which also includes the master device since
version 2.6.24-zen1.

Regards,
Jens