[ltp] Re: hardy kernel 2.6.24-8 occasional system hangs, t60p

Ondřej Baláž linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 03:06:58 +0100

In gmane.linux.hardware.thinkpad, you wrote:
> I wonder if anyone else is testing hardy and seeing problems with
> random hangs sometimes on a t60p.

Are you using 2.6.24.x series ?
Please look into your system logs and search for something like "Uhhh. NMI
received for unknown reason a1 on cpu0". I suspecting some kind of regression in
e1000 gigabit ethernet (are you connected to the wired network when these
freezes occurs ?)
You may try typing mesg y into your terminal (as root) and then leave it open
somewhere on screen (not covered by other app) and then when system hangs for
same reason as mine (on X60s) you'll see kernel message in this term.

> I suspect a hardware problem given that alt+sysreq key combinations do
> nothing - but maybe there's some other explanation.

I suspected hardware too. But linux 2.6.19, solaris express DE and windows vista
works without freezes.

> Is there some other way to debug given that I have no serial port on
> this machine?

maybe netlink.

> It happened twice today, very annoying.

I know exactly what you mean.