[ltp] T61 suspend to disk / hibernate with nvidia drivers

Jimmy Wu linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:37:21 -0500

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has suspend-to-disk working with the
non-free nvidia drivers?
For Thinkwiki and other sites I've seen that say this works out of the
box, none of them mention using the nvidia driver, and it seems
everyone is using gnome-power-manager (I have xfce4, not gnome).

More detailed information below:

I have a Thinkpad T61 running Debian Sid / Xfce4, with an NVIDIA
Quadro NVS 140M.  From the package lists, I believe I have uswsusp
installed.   Suspend to ram works beautifully with the sysfs (echo -n
mem > /sys/power/state).  When I try s2disk from within X, the system
goes down fine, but comes up to a few beeps, a black screen, and total
unresponsiveness, other than a hard reboot.  I have tried s2disk from
a tty, even while X was running, and it suspends and resumes back to
the tty fine, but when I switch to the X server with Alt+F7, I get the
unresponsive black screen again, and can't even get back to tty1.
Using the hibernate package script, I get the following output:

hibernate: Trying method in suspend2.conf...
hibernate: Trying method in disk.conf...
hibernate: Trying method in ususpend-disk.conf...
hibernate: Including configuration from common.conf
hibernate: [01] Executing CheckLastResume ...
hibernate: [01] Executing CheckRunlevel ...
hibernate: [01] Executing LockFileGet ...
hibernate: [01] Executing NewKernelFileCheck ...
hibernate: [10] Executing EnsureUSuspendCapable ...
hibernate: [11] Executing XHacksSuspendHook1 ...
hibernate: [12] Executing IbmAcpiStartSuspend ...
hibernate: [59] Executing RemountXFSBootRO ...
hibernate: [89] Executing SaveKernelModprobe ...
Saved /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe is /sbin/modprobe
hibernate: [91] Executing ModulesUnloadBlacklist ...
Unloading blacklisted modules listed /etc/hibernate/blacklisted-modules
Unloading blacklisted module nvidia (and dependencies)
Unloading nvidia ...
Removing modules with rmmod.
Module version for ipw2100 is 2
Module version for ipw2200 is 2
Module version for snd_bt_sco is
Module version for ndiswrapper is
Unloading blacklisted module mac80211 (and dependencies)
Unloading iwl4965 ...
Unloading mac80211 ...
Some modules failed to unload: nvidia
hibernate: Aborting suspend due to errors in ModulesUnloadBlacklist
(use --force to override).
hibernate: [90] Executing ModulesLoad ...
hibernate: [89] Executing RestoreKernelModprobe ...
hibernate: [85] Executing XHacksResumeHook2 ...
hibernate: [70] Executing ClockRestore ...
hibernate: [59] Executing RemountXFSBootRW ...
hibernate: [12] Executing IbmAcpiEndResume ...
hibernate: [11] Executing XHacksResumeHook1 ...
hibernate: [01] Executing NoteLastResume ...
hibernate: [01] Executing LockFilePut ...

Some sites say that to get nvidia to resume properly, add the
POST_VIDEO=false and SAVE_VBE_STATE=false to
/etc/defaults/acpi-support.  I didn't have that file, but I tried
installing acpi-support and making those changes.  That didn't fix the
problem though.

At this point, I am a bit at a loss for where to go next, so any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
--
Jimmy Wu