[ltp] Fan Setup

Lior Uzan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:54:00 +0200

------=_Part_8828_29596004.1204124040863

Thanks!

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Chris Schumann <chris@idlelion.net> wrote:

> Richard Neill wrote:
> only
> load...
>
> Most people like it when the fan is off or operates at low speed. It
> saves battery life.
>
> > See also thinkwiki.org  for some fan-control scripts.
> >
> > Actually, 52 degrees is rather conservative - you could quite safely let
> > it reach 70 without hurting the chip. The low temperature is to prevent
> > it burning your knees!
> >
> > If you have the CPU power-management set up right, you should be able to
> > enjoy near silent operation, yet without any sacrifice in performance.
> > This is because a typical "desktop" load requires 100% for a few seconds
> > at a time (eg when you open an application), then goes to near quiescent
> > for the next minute (eg when you are typing). The fan should only
> > activate when the system is seriously busy, eg updatedb, backups,
> > cron-jobs, huge file-transfers,..
>
> Opening applications, backups and file transfers do not take CPU. They
> take disk and/or network bandwidth and should not be much effort for
> anything like a T61.
>
> Computing package dependencies, batch photo processing, audio or video
> transcoding and many games place high demands on a CPU.
>
> I recently tried powertop and found it to be very helpful in reducing
> processor use.
>
> Chris
> --

------=_Part_8828_29596004.1204124040863

Richard Neill wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Lior Uzan schrieb:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; when my pc passes a certain temp? (I don&#39;t remember if it was 50 or 52<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; celsius)<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; I don&#39;t like my CPU&#39;s temperature spiking whenever there&#39;s heavy load...<br>
saves battery life.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Actually, 52 degrees is rather conservative - you could quite safely let<br>
&gt; it reach 70 without hurting the chip. The low temperature is to prevent<br>
&gt; it burning your knees!<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; If you have the CPU power-management set up right, you should be able to<br>
&gt; enjoy near silent operation, yet without any sacrifice in performance.<br>
&gt; This is because a typical &quot;desktop&quot; load requires 100% for a few seconds<br>
&gt; at a time (eg when you open an application), then goes to near quiescent<br>
&gt; for the next minute (eg when you are typing). The fan should only<br>
&gt; activate when the system is seriously busy, eg updatedb, backups,<br>
&gt; cron-jobs, huge file-transfers,..<br>
take disk and/or network bandwidth and should not be much effort for<br>
anything like a T61.<br>
Computing package dependencies, batch photo processing, audio or video<br>
transcoding and many games place high demands on a CPU.<br>
I recently tried powertop and found it to be very helpful in reducing<br>
processor use.<br>
Chris<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>

------=_Part_8828_29596004.1204124040863--