[ltp] standalone usb trackpoint device?

Paul Fox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:14:48 -0500

chris@idlelion.net wrote:
 > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > i'm looking for a standalone trackpoint/trackstick-like device that
 > IBM made a mouse with a TrackPoint in place of a scroll wheel, so you
 > could push the nib in any direction to scroll your documents and also
 > press it to use it as the third button. I found it very handy, but it
 > still had a wheel, and optical mice are so much nicer.

thanks!  i'm not sure it's quite what i need, but they do seem to
make optical versions:
    http://www.amazon.com/IBM-3-Button-Scrollpoint-Optical-Mouse/dp/B00007DTC6

i suspect it would take a new driver to make the pointer send mouse
movements instead of scroll movements.  (unless maybe that's possible
with an xorg.conf reconfig.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 33.8 degrees)