[ltp] Re: X60: Off is *not* off ;)

Nils Faerber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:33:07 +0100

Mathias Moser schrieb:
> On Die, 2008-02-12 at 15:29 +0100, Nils Faerber wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Some days ago I reported that my X60 drains battery even in off mode. I
>> did some very painful analysis...
>
> I'm having the same problem on a T61...ran the battery down from 100% to
> 95% over night after shutdown -h now...

Hmm... that is strange - at least to me.

I did some more experiments by now and it seems that in my case the
hibernate scripts are all weird and mixed up. The most evil part is that
it almost impossible to debug which script gets called and when.
In my case it seems that using the hibernate function from the Logout
menu of the XFCE4 panel applet was the cause. It uses some strange
scripts to trigger suspend to disk which obviously changed the
power-down mode from shutdown to platform - which on my X60 drains
battery pretty quickly. And this happens despite the fact that I
specified "shutdown" in /etc/dafault/acpi-support which is sourced from
/etc/acpi/hibernate.sh

Since I do not want to waste days after days for chasing this weird
behavious I am now suspending using a good old shell prompt - GUI
desktops should be forbidden, the only good use for them is for being
able to open multiple xterms ;)
So I manually set the shutdown mode to "shutdown" (instead of platform)
which is IMHO supposed to be S5 (why isn't called S5?) in
/sys/power/disk After that I do the manual suspend to disk using "echo
disk > /sys/power/state" and the battery drain is gone. Maybe this also
helps in the case of a "shutdown -h".

> Mathias
Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535