[ltp] Running with line power and no battery

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:48:32 +0100

Hi all !

Adam Sloboda wrote:
> At Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:41:44 -0500,
> Haines Brown wrote:
>> [[...]]
>>
>> I've a Thinkpad X61s that I'd like to run on line power without
>> inserting the battery. Can anyone assure me that it's OK to do so?

I have a R51, bought in March 2005. It is my secondary machine only, so=20
I do not use it very often.

When I'm at home, I typically operate it without the battery, because=20
keeping the battery cool and not fully charged is said to enhance its=20
lifetime. I have not experienced any problem yet.

What I would like to have for this is a dummy battery cover, to prevent=20
any dirt from reaching the contacts. But I haven't yet started any work=20
for this.

>=20
> [[...]]
>=20
> Personally I wouldn't risk power outage or possibility of accidental
> unplugging...

YMMV: We have underground cabling here, no overhead wires. In the last=20
20 years here, I remember about 2 (two) power outages only.

I work from my home office, so any loss of power would affect running=20
machines, but I did not get any kind of UPS - that's my assessment of=20
the risk (for me !). I have heard from colleagues that short outages are =

frequent for them, because they are supplied via overhead wires which=20
are affected by wind, rain, ice, car accidents, ...

IMO, everybody has to assess that risk for themselves.

I consider accidental unplugging to be extremely unlikely. I would worry =

more about somebody stumbling over a cable, but then I may have the=20
power supply or even the notebook falling down, or the cable damaged -=20
all much more severe than the machine halt by power failure, IMO.

Again, this depends on your personal situation, setup of your place etc.

HTH,
J=F6rg

--=20
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de