[ltp] Running with line power and no battery

Dom linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:48:19 +0100

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Arno Trautmann wrote:
>
>>> Every non-ancient ThinkPad works fine without a battery, AFAIK.  But I'd
>>> still rather use a screwed-up 5s-of-charge-only old battery than run the
>>> laptop without any secondary power source it can count on.
>>>
>> Just yesterday I read the thinkwiki, which tells me:
>>
>> ???Battery health
>>
>> Batteries, especially of the modern Li-Ion type, wear out quicker when
>> they hold a large charge or are subject to higher temperatures (see
>> above).
>>
>> If you use your laptop at a desk, reduce battery wear by maintaining an
>> appropriate charge level. When possible, remove Li-ion batteries while
>> operating from AC as the notebook gets hot enough inside for that to
>> damage the battery in the long run, even if charging is stopped.???
>>
>> [http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Maintenance#Battery_treatment]
>>
>> So I mostly run my X61s without battery and never got any problems.

> Yes, such usage pattern damages that particular battery slowly.  It is at
> about 50% of its design capacity after two years of use (I usually keep it
> in the 30% to 85% charge range, and it is usually at 37C on the charger, 30C
> on the cells).  My 9-cell and bay batteries are at 95% of their design
> capacity after two years of use (proper storage at 10C).

Oh, and I forgot to say that whenever I look at the battery temperature
it's never above 30°C, usually about 28°C and sometimes even at 26°C.

I'm looking at the output of /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT*/temperature
Where can I see how hot it is on the charger? I assume the above
mentioned output would be the temperature on the cells.

--
Dom
http://domdelimar.com