[ltp] Running with line power and no battery

Christos Papadopoulos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:46:59 -0700

Unfortunately, there is a lot of folklore on maximizing battery life.

I have seen manufacturers consistently rating battery life in terms of
charge cycles. I can't see how a battery that is constantly drained and
recharged will last very long (in contrast of what crusty old IBM
engineers might believe).

As for leaving the battery plugged in while working on AC, this does
not have a detrimental effect on battery life. The electronics in the
battery ensure that it is never overcharged.

As anectodal evidence, I have heard that periodically (once a month)
letting your battery drain and then recharging will help prolong its
life. I have been trying to do this, but not religiously at all.  The
battery in my X40 is about 5 years old, and will still hold charge for
about 3 hours. And this is with minimal care on my part (i.e., often
plugging back AC in mid-charge).

As for quality, I bought 3-4 batteries on ebay, but all deteriorted
much faster than the OEM products. Not surprising, really.

Christos.