[ltp] Running with line power and no battery

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:59:51 -0500

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 14:52 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>> 2. Charge battery to full while on AC, then remove the battery,
>> working only on AC power. When you need to disconnect from AC (or
>> work mobile), plug the battery in and use until the low-power alert
>> comes up. At this point _switch_ the battery for a full-charged
>> second battery.

> Standard "executive" mode of operation.  It is also bad for Li-ION
> batteries, but an executive could care less, five seconds of his time
> are worth more than one battery pack.

I'd love you to find me an executive who takes this much care of his
batteries, by rotating and "exercising" them in this fashion. I'd guess
that less than 1% of people who use laptops with replaceable batteries
would use this approach.

The more-likely scenario which I see during my 5+ hour commute on trains
every day, is that they leave the battery in at all times, plugged into
AC, and when it no longer holds a charge, they expense out a new one and
begin all over again.

--
David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com