[ltp] ata_piix hanging the system (?)

Mike Kelly linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:26:19 -0500

So, at the advice of people on IRC / the wiki, I switched from using
ide-disk to ata_piix on my T21. However, I think that this is causing
my system to hang at times when there's lots of I/O. The keyboard stops
responding (caps log won't toggle, sysrq does no good). It isn't a
kernel panic, since my keyboard leds aren't flashing. I've watched my
system log a bit, but haven't noticed anything.

Has anyone else run into this? Does anyone have any suggestions on how
I can try and narrow this down a bit more and maybe fix it?

Other misc info:

 ~ # uname -a
Linux lappy-iii 2.6.25-rc3-00411-ge60746e #10 Thu Feb 28 02:08:09 EST
2008 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

 ~ # lspci |grep IDE
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev
01)

Hard drive is:
IBM-DJSA-220

--