[ltp] I'm concerned about my BIOS...any knowledge out there?

Dreamwander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 17:50:19 -0600

------=_Part_50598_15435887.1199490619337

Hello, all.

I have to say i appreciate this community (or what i know of it via
thinkwiki.org)

I have a question about something that worries me:

I am the proud third owner of a T40p.  I assume the first owner was a
Windows user, but i don't actually know.  The second owner is a friend of
mine who ran Windows for a while, then set it up dual-boot with Debian.  I
got the machine from him and have replaced the hard drive with a Toshiba and
have been running Ubuntu.  First 7.04, now 7.10.

It runs great, except for two things, one of which i'll write another email
about.  This email is about the fact that, all of a sudden, for a month or
two now, the machine hangs at boot on the IBM Thinkpad bios splash screen.
When i press the "Access IBM" button, then Esc to "resume normal boot", it
loads Grub, grub goes through and boots either of the kernels i have going,
and all's well.

Does anyone have any clue why this is happening?  If it is a harbinger of
doom to come?  If there is a way to fix this?

Any advice, help, or info is appreciated.

Also, it'll boot from CD fine, but i still have to interrupt and tell it to
continue.

Thanks, all.

--
Sean

Let your Soul shine.

------=_Part_50598_15435887.1199490619337

7.04, now 7.10.<br><br>It runs great, except for two things, one of which i&#39;ll write another email about.&nbsp; This email is about the fact that, all of a sudden, for a month or two now, the machine hangs at boot on the IBM Thinkpad bios splash screen.&nbsp; When i press the &quot;Access IBM&quot; button, then Esc to &quot;resume normal boot&quot;, it loads Grub, grub goes through and boots either of the kernels i have going, and all&#39;s well.

------=_Part_50598_15435887.1199490619337--