[ltp] A question about USB storage and ehci_hcd

Dreamwander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 17:58:28 -0600

------=_Part_50641_19801852.1199491108327

Hello, all.

I'm running Ubuntu linux 7.10 on a T40p.  The issue below occured also with
Ubuntu 7.04.  I don't remember which kernel that was, but on this install i
have (through Ubuntu devs) 2.6.22-14-generic and 2.6.24-2-generic.

The problem seems fairly common across machines (it seems, though, to be
heavily concentrated in laptops, though i may be mistaken): usb storage
devices won't hold hardware addresses.  The only workaround solution i've
found is to unload the ehci_hcd module and run at usb 1.1 speeds.

Has anyone encountered this?  Has anyone solved it?  I've looked far and
wide and have not had success with anyone else's solutions that i've found
(though, to be honest, i've never compiled my own kernel, mostly because i
don't have the time to learn enough about it to feel like i'd do a good job
configuring it well)

Thanks for your time.

--
Sean

Let your Soul shine.

------=_Part_50641_19801852.1199491108327

Hello, all.<br><br>I&#39;m running Ubuntu linux 7.10 on a T40p.&nbsp; The issue below occured also with Ubuntu 7.04.&nbsp; I don&#39;t remember which kernel that was, but on this install i have (through Ubuntu devs) 2.6.22-14-generic
 and 2.6.24-2-generic.<br><br>The problem seems fairly common across machines (it seems, though, to be heavily concentrated in laptops, though i may be mistaken): usb storage devices won&#39;t hold hardware addresses.&nbsp; The only workaround solution i&#39;ve found is to unload the ehci_hcd module and run at usb
1.1 speeds.<br><br>Has anyone encountered this?&nbsp; Has anyone solved it?&nbsp; I&#39;ve looked far and wide and have not had success with anyone else&#39;s solutions that i&#39;ve found (though, to be honest, i&#39;ve never compiled my own kernel, mostly because i don&#39;t have the time to learn enough about it to feel like i&#39;d do a good job configuring it well)

------=_Part_50641_19801852.1199491108327--