[ltp] Re: Strange LCD issue

Jim Rockford linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 00:31:02 -0500

------=_Part_22356_17292112.1199511062455

Peter Praus wrote:
"What's the GPU temperature difference when placed on the table and on the
book?
In my opinion, this issue might be caused by overheated GPU rather
than broken LCD display."

Thanks for the reply Peter.  I'll have a look at the GPU temperature, but I
must first ask how you
monitor the CPU's temperature.  I didn't see anything for this among the
Lenovo/IBM specific tools
I've got installed. My machine is dual boot (same LCD problems with Fedora
8), but I'm currently tackling
this problem in Windoze XP because I've been communicating with Lenovo
support on a couple other matters.
I didn't see a Fedora KDE tool for monitoring the CPU temperature either.
Any recommendations?

I should also note that there is a flaw in my LCD resulting from some cretin
(not me, I swear!) dropping a heavy
object on top of it (while the laptop was closed).  Since that time there
has been an imperfection, a few dead pixels
and so forth. But that happened over a year ago and this current LCD flicker
is a recent thing.  I had been assuming
that the initial LCD damage might have propagated somehow, manifesting
itself in full force only now, but I don't really
know.  The flicker most certainly gets worse when I'm running some heavy
computations, so it's got to be a temperature
related phenomenon.

Next week I will replace the LCD entirely.  What I'm wondering is if this is
a futile gesture, whether there is some overheating
problem that will also plague a new LCD.  As always, any stories and
experience you all share is most appreciated.

Best,
Jim