[ltp] KUBUNTU Install

Marcin Trybus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 20:34:56 +0100

--nextPart6981445.zmTc9lUSa3

Saturday 05 of January 2008 16:22:36 Richard Neill wrote:

> Actually, it's easier than that.
>
> 1)Install either Ubuntu or Kubuntu
>
> 2)apt-get install ubuntu-desktop kubuntu-desktop
>
> Then you get everything :-)

Yes, everything. That's also suboptimal, as you end up with a load of=20
unneeded packets. Eg. Ubuntu comes with gdm, whereas Kubuntu installs kdm=20
(one is completely unused). Same goes for many system libraries and a bunch=
=20
of other software. It takes up disk space and can slow down the system (and=
=20
probably will).=20

I'd rather recommend either:=20

Install Ubuntu, run it and "sudo apt-get install kdebase"=20
(if you use Gnome and play with KDE sometimes)

or

Install Kubuntu, run it and "sudo apt-get install gnome-core"=20
(if you use KDE and dabble with Gnome)=20

This only installs the most crucial components to run the desktop with no=20
extra files. You can install them later, if you need them.=20

I'd suggest to end this silly OT thread we made of it.=20

Best wishes for the new year.=20

Marcin Trybus

=2D-=20
JabberID: Llewelyn_MT@jabster.pl