[ltp] Re: A question about USB storage and ehci_hcd

Fredrik Wendt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:07:19 +0100

> > No.  GRUB has to use real-mode BIOS functions to address disks for
> > obvious reasons [...]

Thanks Matt. Getting grub in place is a one time thing just like you
say.

> I have a "Debian on a USB stick" and I don't have too many problems with
> it so far:
> - the drive from which Grub was loaded seems to always be hd0, so I can
>   just use hd0 when specifying where the kernel and initrd files are to
>   be found.

Well if it boots from the USB stick chances are good that it's also the
"first" hard drive the BIOS lists :)

> - w.r.t telling the kernel where to fin the root partition, I use udev
>   (from within the initrd) so I can use any of the previously mentioned
>   techniques (LABELs, UUID, ...).

Ah. Ubuntu Feisty doesn't do this by default but I see that's changed in
Gutsy.

Thanks to you both.

/ Fredrik