[ltp] Ubuntu on 560E

Nathan Templeton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 09 Jan 2008 16:45:26 -0900

chris@idlelion.net wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Nathan Templeton wrote:
>
>> chris@idlelion.net wrote:
>>> Turns out the 560E can boot from a PCMCIA card reader. I'm in the
>>> midst of installing Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) on it and will update
>>> the ThinkWiki page if I actually get it running.
>>>
>>> I would now think that just about any ThinkPad with a Pentium or
>>> later could boot and install from PCMCIA.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>> As long as you use the alternate install cd you should be fine.
>
> The 560E is an ultra-portable, one-spindle machine. There is no CD
> drive. I used the netboot image and wrote it to an SD card, booted
> from it and did a network install.
>
> Unfortunately, I chose an expert install, so it thought I knew what I
> was doing and never offered to install a GUI, and "aptitude install
> xubuntu-desktop" was having dependency issues, so now I'm trying Hardy
> Heron.
>
> FWIW, I could not get a 600E or T60 to boot from the same PCCard
> reader. The 600E does have a PCMCIA option in the startup menu, but
> the T60 does not. I suspect the T60 would boot from a USB card reader.
>
> Chris

Chris,

 As far as gui is concerned. Apt-get install XFCE should do the trick
without issue, or whatever wm you would like to use. Ran into that the
first time I ever used ubuntu.
  I'm actually finishing up a custom flux/ubuntu install on a 5gig pc
card hd. Runs like greased lighting with my T20 here.

Nathan