[ltp] Special keyboard buttons - the perfect setup

Damjan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:56:48 +0100

Hi all, since I see there's a lot of change in the way the hardware and
the software (both gennerally the kernel and thinkpad_acpi) operates
considering the special keyboard buttons .. so much of the software is
in flux, some of it still working over obsolete interfaces etc...

I'd like to ask, what's the perfect setup of all of this. Considering
that every applet is updated, X and evdev works perfectly, BIOS and
thinkpad_acpi don't have bugs. How would it all work? (by this I mean,
what's handled by what subsystem: ACPI/BIOS, /dev/input/xxx, /proc/acpi,
other?).

 From the user perspective I like it very much that the "mute" button on
my X60s operates without any software intervention. It also operates
when the screensaver is on or in raw console (no X). That's very
important since I know I can always trust with confidence that it will
work (very important in urgent situations). But a user-space
OSD/notification is also cool to have when pressed. The volume up/down
buttons also work on the hardware level which is fine with me, except
that I have maybe 4 volume controls now, hardware, alsamixer, pulseaudio
and user application.. that might be confusing.

Then, there are buttons that need to be system processed, like now I
have set the power button to start the hibernation process. This works
via an ACPI event and the acpid program.

The backlight buttons are obviosly a mess, but what would be the perfect
way for them to work?

--
damjan | дамјан
This is my jabber ID -->         damjan@bagra.net.mk