[ltp] Wireless solution for T23

Simon Williams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:02:56 +0000

Marcin Trybus wrote:
> I just got a broadband Internet connection and bought a Linksys WAG200G
> router with a wireless access point (as the name implies it's a G
> standard). I bought wireless only because it was not that much more
> expensive than a wired-only model. Since my T23 comes without a built-in
> WiFi adapter I am considering various options of making it wireless
> capable. There are only two reasonable options, a PCMCIA adapter and an
> internal, preferably Intel-based, miniPCI card. I discount the USB
> adapters, as the T23 has only 2 ports anyway. The problem is that my
> machine does not have the built in antenna. So is it worth the hassle to
> install it?
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback.
>
> My uptime is ca. 98% Debian GNU/Linux (with the approx. 2% Win2k), so
> whatever the solution will be it should be as Open as possible.

I've done it with my T23. If you're good with a screwdriver, can
remember where everything goes back and don't mind spreading the
*entire* laptop across your desk then it's not too hard to fit them.
That said, it's a right pig trying to get them to fit behind the LCD.

I only got generic internal antennas and they 1. Were even more
difficult to fit, and 2. *SUCK*. Buying the antennae alone will probably
make it not worthwhile on cost if you get them from IBM. Also, I think
my Atheros card *SUCKS* as well, despite spending 90 quid on it. It
freezes my machine fairly regularly (haven't tracked down why), and is
guaranteed to kill it if I try and scp something over it.
It's supposed to be a really good extended range 802.11G+ (108Mbps)
card, but with my combination of card and antennae I barely get 5%
signal and 1Mbps *SITTING BESIDE THE ACCESS POINT*.

It will cost you way more straight off. It's just not worth it. You can
get a really nice PCMCIA card for about a 10th of the price.