[ltp] KUBUNTU Install

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:20:33 +0100

Richard, all,

Richard Neill wrote:
>=20
> [[...]]
>=20
> The big problem here is that the *CD* isn't working! SO I think your=20
> advice perhaps isn't appropriate in this case. The major problem here i=
s=20
> that the usb-cdrom is non bootable. Worse, there is now no working OS o=
n=20
> the machine at all, just grub. So I think it's down to one of:
>=20
>  * USB boot  (via USB stick)
>  * PXE network boot (with TFTP on another machine)
>  * Floppy disc boot - and hope that the USB CDROM is supported
>  * Hardware hack - eg remove drive and install in a different machine.

I cannot comment on the pros and cons of these approaches (luckily, I=20
could always boot from CD),
but if your disk is big enough I still maintain you should leave a=20
partition free and use it for a second system. However small and=20
functionally limited it may be, it will at least allow you to boot your=20
machine and do repair work (or get files off it, or ...).

But as you say your grub is working  -  isn't it possible to instruct=20
grub (from its command line) to boot from some other device, like the=20
CDROM via USB ?
I admit I never tried, but still it might be worth some searching=20
because then you could again run a standard install.

J=F6rg

--=20
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de