False alarm, sorry (was Re: [ltp] Speeding up UltraBay PATA HDs tremendously)

Tue, 15 Jan 2008 21:46:11 -0200

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, wes schreiner wrote:
> > Here with a T30 I get UDMA/100 on the UltraBay HD without your patch.
> > Kernel 2.6.23.11-rt14 currently.
>
> [...]
>
> > Perhaps there is a bug in 40/80 wire detection on newer ThinkPads?
>
> Or with some Ultrabay HDD adapters, or with my machine.  I got a head's up
> from another T43 owner that he didn't have any problems with 40-wire/80-wire
> detection on his T43, either...
>
> I have a brown paperbag here just waiting to be used... I will poke around
> the T43 in a few minutes to make sure it was not a problem between the chair
> and the keyboard :-p

And while I am not wearing that bag right now (because I *did* test it three
times, and it was not a config issue in the BIOS :) ), I will have to call
it a temporary malfunction of my HDD adapter, and a "mea culpa" for not
doing a more throughout test.

Apparently, the HDD adapter is somewhat sensitive to bad contact.  After the
thinkpad was moved around, I simply cannot reproduce the 40-wire problem
anymore.

I should have tried pulling the HDD out and replugging it when I noticed the
problem, but the fact that Windows did not notice any problems and used
ATA/100 anyway, even if booting back into Linux caused the 40-wire message
to show up, threw me off-track.

I still don't know why Windows was not affected, but I can't seem to
reproduce the issue anymore no matter how much I try so I can't even find
that out :(

Well, case closed, patch retracted.  If the issue shows up only when the bay
is not perfectly connected, it would be better to refuse to add the device
and shut down the ATA port, instead of overriding the cable detect logic :-)

  Henrique Holschuh