***[Possible UCE]*** Re: 4965AGN (was Re: [ltp] Call to T61 owners)

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 05:49:42 -0800

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Tim,
>
> I've never installed a new driver before. Generally I just let Ubuntu figure out when an update is needed. I'm also not very savvy about installing from source, although I have done it a couple times when I had detailed instructions to follow. I went to sourceforge.net but couldn't find the instructions you mentioned. Can you give me the URL?
>

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:21:46 -0500
> n8tm@aol.com dijo:
>
>> John,
>>
>> In addition to a recent enough kernel, which you have already, you need the current 4965AGN bits.? If your updates don't have the current version, you would have to follow steps shown on sourceforge.
>> As I said, it works only?with 802.11g access points, as far as I can determine.? It can see a,b,g,n but won't connect to b.? I have doubts about a and n as well, although I hever had the credentials to connect to any of those.
>> I don't know any data on marginal signal performance, or whether antenna improvements could be applied to the 4965AGN in T61.? I see access points over 5 miles from my home on the list, not strong enough to connect, and I?don't have the problem?with my neighbors' strong access points interfering that I did with the T40 Intel 802.11b wireless.? g access points are only now beginning to show up in my residential neighborhood.?? I have tried to connect to Starbucks at various distances, but I think they are linux unfriendly.
>>
>> Tim

http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi&n=HOWTO-iwlwifi

The first step is to find out which iwlwifi versions you have installed,
and where.  I believe you should be able to copy the firmware module to
your current installed location, if you need an update.  When building
and installing the driver snapshot, you would require the kernel source
installation corresponding to your running kernel.  The driver build
script presumably looks in a few standard places for that source; if
yours is elsewhere, you would edit the Makefile to make it look there.
Yes, ideally, if you apply the current updates for your distro, the
iwlwifi would be up to date.