[ltp] Missing Alsa Master Channel on T61

Jens Rutschmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:49:11 +0100

Yves-Alexis Perez schrieb am 16.01.2008 13:59:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 12:23:13PM +0000, Sin Tzu wrote:
>> do your volume controls work?
>
> Well, yes.

It's the same with mine, sound works perfectly, it is just the complicated muting.

What is the point in having two mute controls for internal & external speakers
if there is anyways only one of them active at the same time?
The internal speaker is automatically muted as soon as I plug a cable in the
speaker jack. And, well, the speaker jack itself won't work alone ;-)

Of course one could solve this with a script like the one Yonggang Guo sent to
the list but I'd prefer a "real" Master channel.

The problem with the script solution is that at least KDE's kmix does not
conveniently handle two separate controls for muting and volume control:

- I can select the PCM as main channel and thereby use the dock icon for volume
control but in this case there is no visual feedback for the muting state.

- If I use on of the "Speaker" or "Headphone" controls as main channel I can't
use the icon for volume control. And then it would work only for one of the two
outputs.

Neither way is very convenient in my opinion.

Perhaps there is a way to create a "virtual" ALSA device that combines two or
more physical devices ?

Regards,
Jens